Sunday, August 19, 2007

Live @ The Spike Part 1 - 1985 - Mix by Glenn Rivera

Live @ The Spike Part 1 - 1985
Mix by Glenn Rivera

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

Close to a hour set from Spike / 1985

1) Computer Music - Suzy Q
2) Hit That Perfect Boy - Bronski Beat
3) Secrets (I Won't Tell) - Until December
4) Don't Let Go - Wang Chung
5) Don't Turn Your Love Away - Viva
6) One Shot Lover - Venus
7) Killer Instinct - Roby
8) Underwater - Harry Thumann
9) Vicious Games - Yello
10) Gloria - Laura Branigan

From 1983 – 1986 I was living in Los Angeles, California and spinning nightly at a Levi-Leather bar notoriously called, Spike. The bar would remain open until 6am on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Some of my most exciting and adventurous mixing was during this period. I enjoyed spinning music after 2 am when all of the alcohol was taken away and the music was what got you high. I had a great time mixing some great old classic disco during this period and found it very much appreciated.

Anyone who visited Spike during this time knew how incredible the experience was – especially the music. I want to thank the bar manager, Vince at the time who would come up to the booth every 15 – 20 minutes and say, “Bang em’ to the wall!” He always wanted them to be pulled into the energy of the music, and then slowly let down a few levels – and then back up again. It was the most incredible programming experience of my spinning career. Everyone was listening to the music.

This mix is dedicated in memory of my co-DJ from Spike, John Riles – his energy is still around me.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

No comments:

Blog Archive