Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Reverend Lee" - Glenn Rivera ReStructure Mix - Paradise Express

"Reverend Lee" - Glenn Rivera ReStructure Mix - Paradise Express

Paradise Express is one of the pinnacle disco bands of the late 70's - along with producer/musician Herb Jimmerson (who left us in 1998) and his then wife, Vi Ann the disco scene was elated. Their first single "Dance" (a cover of Paul Jabara's hit) was released in 1978 on their initial album. The excitement started, but did not end there.

"Reverend Lee" is a track from the LP which was featured as a B-side to "Star In My Life". It is a cover of Roberta Flack's recording from 1972 (the flip side to "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".

ViAnn is living and enjoying her beautiful horses - but unfortunately, no longer singing. I had communicated with her last year and she asked about a remix for this track - so it is dedicated to ViAnn of Paradise Express and for what she has given to her disco music fans - it will last forever.

Thank you, ViAnn - peace and love.

3 comments:

Robb Cooper said...

I am in the process of coaxing my ViAnn into making a comeback to test the waters. So keep your fingers crossed, it should be a fun time if she agrees to handle it. Her loss of her husband, the wonderfully talented Herb Jimmerson was tremendous to say the very least. But I am confident her fans will let her know just how she is loved.

Robb Cooper

ReStructure Mix/Disco Video Mix by Glenn Rivera said...

Rob - Please keep me updated. ViAnn is one of the incredible talents of the 70s. I would love to do anything I can do to help her return to the stage.

Good energy to you

- Glenn :)

Tina Lewis Rowe said...

This is a bit of time after your blog about Paradise Express, but I just now found it. You don't have to post this lengthy note, I'm just writing to you, to give you some insight into the late Herb Jimmerson.

I graduated from Arkansas City (pronounced Ar-Kansas City), Kansas high school with Herb, way back. We thought of him as a tournament-winning wrestler who also played the piano and some other instruments--and most of his classmates never realized how exceptionally talented his was.

His grandmother, Lela, a gifted pianist, graciously gave me free piano lessons. His father, Herb, Sr., had a wonderful dance band. So, Herb's talent was partly inherited combined with a lot of practice and commitment. Herb was quiet, unfailingly nice, and very focused about everything he did. So, when we found out he was involved in the music business in such a way, we were astounded!

Mrs. Jimmerson used to have Herb and me play duets for recitals. He practiced incessantly and I barely practiced at all, because I knew he was so good he would make up for my lack. He would be frustrated when I wasn't as perfect as he was and tell me that just a couple of hours a day would improve my performance a lot. (A couple of hours!)

We were waiting for our part of a recital when we were in our late teens and I told him about my plans for college and life. His Dad owned a car dealership and I asked if he intended to stay in town and run the business. He looked up at me a bit, smiled in disbelief that I would suggest such a thing and said no, that he had other plans. I asked him what they were and he said, "Just other things I intend to do."

I can see, based on what you've written, that he did do "other things", with great success. His classmates at ACHS were so sad when we heard about his tragic passing. I've never met his wife, but I'm glad she and Herb had a loving partnership.

I'm sharing your information about him at our upcoming reunion. Best wishes! Tina Lewis Rowe

Blog Archive