Wednesday, May 31, 2023

ReStructure Mix Update (5/31/23): “I Don’t Want To Be A Freak (But I Can’t Help Myself)” – Glenn Rivera ReStructure Mix – Dynasty


Dynasty is a disco/funk/soul ensemble featuring Kevin Spencer, Leon Sylvers, Linda Carriere, Nidra Beard, Wardell Potts and William Shelby. Co-produced by Solar Records president, Dick Griffey. “I Don't Want To Be A Freak (But I Can't Help Myself)” is from their 1979 project titled “Your Piece Of the Rock” and is a tasty disco/funk track which places the sweetness of disco music among the groove of funk. The infectious chorus makes it difficult to believe that this period would be the last of the disco themed songs. There is a smooth transition from their soulful sound to the disco chorus moments which make this an outline for an anthem.

I have taken the 12” version of “I Don't Want To Be A Freak (But I Can't Help Myself)” and re-funked the pieces with more of a disco edge for this ReStructure Mix. There is more use of that percussion and the groove that makes a body move … and can’t help itself.
 

No comments:

Blog Archive