Friday, October 25, 2019

REISSUE: "I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten" - Glenn Rivera ReStructure Mix - The Simon Orchestra





REISSUE: "I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten" - Glenn Rivera ReStructure Mix - The Simon Orchestra

The Simon Orchestra is a studio project from producer Simon Soussan – who also founded early 70s labels Soul Fox Records and Soul Galore which produced a Northern Soul sound. His work in disco include the first Shalamar single, “Uptown Festival”, Pattie Brooks’ “After Dark” and “Love and Desire” by Arpeggio. His sound was always a step ahead on the blend of electronics and orchestral disco. It was a sound that displayed in The Simon Orchestra album was a stamp for the British disco sound from Passion Records that became “high energy” in the early 80s. The rolling drums and swirling strings were emulated by session bands Charade, Marsha Raven and many projects in the mid-80s. “I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten” is one of the four tracks from “Mr. Big Shot” from 1979. The project featured Lamarr Stevens, Jessica Williams and Alex Brown on vocals where Alex sings lead on “I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten”. The full impact of Soussan’s sound can be felt in this song.

I have taken the album version of “I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten” and reworked the sweet vocal of Alex Brown and the powerful disco orchestral production for this ReStructure Mix. It plays out very similarly with a few more breaks and some accentuating the disco slam of Simon Soussan’s sound.

No comments:

Blog Archive